7 Minute Caprese Toast
When I got back from Italy last September all I could think about was:
5. Olive Oil
Later, we'll get into the other things I couldn't stop thinking about, like pasta and sex, on the Brain/Body portion of the blog. Because everyone needs pasta and sex in their life, that's something I never wanna give up. Although it seems I'm somewhat off of the latter because the well is empty. Maybe I need to go back to Italy. I digress.
This morning's toast files are a tribute to my great Italia. The best thing about this toast? It's made from pantry and fridge staples. I always have tomatoes, olive oil and some cheese stacked in the apartment as these were essentials in my home growing up, so I'm never without them either. Again, yes I eat cheese and bread. I'm a health coach, I'm not dead.
Lightly olive oil coated tomatoes meet mozzarella and a toaster oven/broiler for a gooey toast that won't leave you feeling heavy but satisfied. And, hey, listen, I know nothing beats a grilled cheese and I'm not gonna even try to say "folks, this tomato and mozzarella toast is just like grilled cheese" cause it ain't. But what it is ... EFFING DELICIOUS, filling and EASY TO MAKE. No excuses for breakfast, lunch or dinner (with a soup or salad) - this is a simple a meal you can get with some nutritional value and without cooking - hello lycopene, fiber, calcium and all good real food feels. Frankly, it's been so long since I had a grilled cheese and not because I'm afraid of them or think "I shouldn't have it" but if I don't crave it - I don't eat it. Chocolate, Nutella, a good bowl of pasta ... sex ... that's a whole other story.
- Crusty Italian Bread or Ezekiel Sprouted Grain *as noted I only eat food that's alive and this is my choice, you do you, my notes below
- 1 oz of fresh mozzarella *any melty cheese will work, some notes below on switching it up
- 1 small plum tomato
- Basil *optional
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Sea salt + Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Toast bread
- Layer with thinly sliced tomatoes + basil
- Drizzle with olive oil + sprinkle of salt
- Place in broiler or toaster overn for 5 minutes
- Add mozzarella + pop back in broiler until cheese is melted
- Drizzle w/ a little more olive oil + freshly ground pepper
- Serve yourself
Notes + Swaps
- Why use bread that grows mold, what's this lady talking about? Listen, do you wanna feel alive? Then eat food that's alive. Sure, there are issues in our country with the way wheat is farmed and then top it off with preservatives that allow bread to sit on grocery store shelves for months on end - not easy on our digestion. Part of what helped me beat this digestion concern (because I enjoy bread, but sometimes it doesn't like me) was eating fresh bread or sprouted grain bread. I can eat it in moderation at a slice a day or a few times a week and not suffer the slings of bloat. Give it a try today.
- Don't like the mozz? This is delectable with brie or you can start by spreading a layer of goat cheese or crumbled feta, putting the tomatoes right on top and transferring to your toaster/broiler. And if you wanna go lighter, simply top with a finely grated pecorino or asiago. Have fun! This is your toast world!
- Dairy Free or Vegan? Listen, ain't nothing like some roasted tomatoes on toast lubed up with olive oil. And if you want another flavor bang? Drizzle with some good balsamic for a sweet and salty marriage to make your palate dance.