Horseradish Avocado Toast
I already bitched about why no one should be paying $12 for avocado toast. Now, you might want to do yourself a favor and invest in a $2.39 bottle of horseradish as it can kick up anything from your avocado toasts, to eggs, sauces, dressings and beyond. No ingredient is 1 dimensional and I want you to stop thinking that way.
If you're me you do not mind the sting of heat in your mouth first thing in the morning, you'll enjoy this spiced up toast. I like to feel the burn in my food. Shit, I'd like to feel the burn again in a lot of ways, but I'm gonna keep this to toast. As I've written, one too many times, toast can be lunch or dinner as well - and as I sit here and type I find it easy to eat, so breakfast it is today.
You already know the health benefits of avocado, how I feel about bread and sex if you follow me - and if you don't - then you should because you would be in the know about the above.
Ah, one thing to note: I use my Cuisinart Food Processor to whip this avocado good with the horseradish, making it into more of a paste/creamy and spreadable consistency. But you can do this by hand and mash - do the monster mash while you get this together.
Up the health ante and layer with vegetables. You can also enjoy it as a killer dip for crudite or on plantain chips. MMMMMM. I think I know what I may have as a snack later.
Stop bitchin' and get in the kitchen.
I know you're planning your holiday feast, baking cookies and going to party hard - but try putting yourself first by putting some good food in that glorious bod of yours.
I'll be here trying my best to do the same.
- 1 ripe avocado *halved and pitted, reserve pit
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon or lime + 1 tsp. of zest *optional, but I like the kick and fragrance of zest
- 2 tsp. - 1 T. of horseradish *start small and build up, I tend to like a lotta zing
- Salt *to taste
- Veggies *optional to layer on toast or use this as a dip
- Bread of choice
- Place all of the above ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fit with a steel blade and blend until smooth, salt to taste
- Spread on toasty, crunchy bread, layer with veggies, let the flavor move you
Notes + Swaps
- Don't have a food processor? Don't worry, you have hands you can use to wrap around forks or a masher to get this done! Place all ingredients in a bowl and mash to your hearts content - salt to taste.
- Have an immersion blender? That hand held beauty of a kitchen appliance is perfect for this one and one of my favorite kitchen tools.
- Why did I have you save that pit? Because if you're not feeding a family of 4 toasts for breakfast, you're gonna have leftover. Saving the pits to place back in your dip and then refrigerating helps prevent harsh browning of the avocado.
- Not making toast? As I mentioned, this makes a great snack or party dip with veggies or plantain chips, go on and get it. I even use this to top my grain bowls, veggie noodles and salads.