Simple Salmon Toasts
Every day this week, I'm posting about toasting! It's a great no cook meal you can feel good about making at home in the midst of the holiday haze. No cook cooking helps boost that kitchen self-esteem when we're all too pooped to think about making meals. If you only have time to make one meal a day, you can start here, as simple toasts can serve as a bodacious breakfast, lunch or delightful dinner.
Toasts are a fun way to experiment and get curious with your flavors at home. They pair well with soups or a salad. No need to go whole loaded sandwich, toasts are delicate and delectable.
Here's one of my absolute favorites, I made this for my moms 66th birthday breakfast:
Oven toasted (with olive oil + salt) sourdough slathered in mascarpone + topped with smoked salmon, red onions, breakfast radishes + capers. Finished with a healthy dose of olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt + black pepper.
Notes + Swaps
- Try Something New: Swapping something like cream cheese with mascarpone is a nice flavor shift for your palate. Try to think outside of the box, don't go for the same old same old. You can eat everything in moderation and so long as you watch the portion (mascarpone is creamy and higher in fat and calories) you can have it all. I promise.
- How the heck do I use the leftover mascarpone? As a single lady I know it's hard to eat the same thing all week long or use the same ingredient throughout the week. Mascarpone can cream up eggs, quiche or top a soup. You can make some muffins and take them into work, that's what I used to do. Here are a few links from my original blog (Nom Noms For Everyone) to give you and idea!
- You're thinking this lady is a health coach and she's telling me to bake muffins? Yes I am. I want everyone to be comfortable around food. There are no bad foods, only our habits and how we eat them. Are we having 1 muffin or 3? Try baking and sharing - it can be healing on your food journey. Perfect to try in this holiday season. Give yourself a chance.
- Mascarpone Scrambled Eggs
- Mascarpone Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Mascarpone Muffins
- Strawberry Mascarpone Muffins
- Dairy Free? Skip the mascarpone and layer that toast with smoked salmon, capers, red onions, radish, a little lemon and olive oil to take this to the next level in taste!
Practice getting in the kitchen and to celebrate no cook cooking!