Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken
Last Thursday I was walking home from work and took a terrible typical Tina tumble. It's been a while since I rolled an ankle and busted up my body, but I did a good job this time. It was common thing when I was heavier, I fell all of the time. I toppled, I tumbled, I twisted - this sounds like dancing but it was more like crashing ... down and off of Brooklyn sidewalk curbs.
There was no damage to my right knee, only crazy bruising. My right foot, also no damage, but the pain I've been having in my toes hasn't been my imagination - it's the onset of osteoarthritis. As an avid walker, this pains me, a my feet are my vehicle for movement - and knowing this is even more motivation to take care of this tank. The left ankle, weak from so many prior falls - I left the doctor with a cast and boot to help heal the chips in my ankle bones. But I don't see myself wearing this cast and boot ...doesn't exactly suit my style so I'm gonna pray for the best.
Why am I telling you all of this?
I'm alone. No one to grocery shop, do my laundry, buy me my things. I was tired, cranky, in pain and not feeling like myself - but I knew the most helpful and healing thing I could do was take care of myself for myself. So yesterday I got booted up (it was a 1.5 mile walk each way) and I hauled ass to Stop & Shop, in the rain, grabbing the makings for a warming pot of chipotle chicken. I knew I didn't want to stand and chop so I went for all frozen ingredients - from the bell peppers to, yes, even the onions. Canned La Morena chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and Hunts no salt added diced tomatoes made for the masterful seasoning and special sauce this chicken was rubbed up in. All of the ingredients were thrown in the slow cooker and plated over frozen steam in a bag cauliflower rice. This one pot no prep meal will get me through the coming days along with some salad trimmings and freezer soups.
Jazzed up with a cilantro yogurt sauce, this creamed up the chipotle chicken quite nicely and gave the smokey heat a little hit of coolness.
On this Mother's Day, as I lay alone, missing my mom and family - bag of frozen edamame on my knee - I'm plating pretty and sitting down to a most beautiful meal.
And that, friends, is how we can take time to treat ourselves well. Cooking for one, even when feeling shitty, can come with the greatest rewards and benefits. You're worth it.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken
- 2.5 lbs of chicken thighs and drumsticks, skinless or remove skin and bone in *as this chicken will slow cook off the bone resulting in a luscious bounty of pulled chicken without any work at all
- 1 large can La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 15 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 bag of frozen bell peppers
- 1/2 bag of frozen diced onions
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, setting to high and cooking for 4.5 hours
- Serve over rice, quinoa, grain of choice
- Get in your veggie bonus and serve over spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice *I plated mine over microwavable steam in the bag cauliflower rice
- Add corn and or black beans as your weekly stock gets smaller so you can get more mileage from this meal
- Top with Greek yogurt, guacamole, avocado creme or cotija cheese
- Stuff this in a quesadilla, serve over salad or top your nachos right
- Have a blast creating and plating pretty