I'm BANANAS For You - Dessert, That Is
Yesterday I met a 5 year old who now eats a few bananas a day because Minions eat bananas and he wants to be funny and strong like a Minion. Thank you my new small friend for making me laugh and sharing in a love for bananas. While he loves bananas because of Minions, I love bananas because they are another vehicle to get chocolate into my mouth. I go wild for Trader Joe’s Gone Bananas, you know, those dark chocolate dipped frozen banana wedges? If you haven’t had them 1) you’re missing out 2) I’ve got you covered 3) don't tell me you do not like bananas, my new buddy will be very disappointed in you!
I’ve recreated my own version of these, and they’re more like GONE SUPER NUTTY BANANAS as they’re Gone Bananas on chocolate and nut butter steroids. They promise to pair perfectly with tonights Valentine’s Day solo screening of Wonder Woman - wherein I can simultaneously eat frozen chocolate-nutty banana bites AND fantasize about kicking ass, wielding an electric lasso and flying. That’s really what I think of quite a bit lately … how do I kick this life’s butt? Or how do I kick life in the butt? And what if I could fly?
27 years until retirement.
So, being as that’s gonna take some time to figure out - I’ve taken the frozen banana thing pretty seriously.
Here a mix of dark chocolate (I love to use the 73% Organic Trader Joes, 78% or 85% Lindt or 85% Theo’s) is melted down with cacao nibs (remember, that’s chocolate in it’s purest form and it won’t melt completely which gives this banana bite some nice texture), coconut oil and a drizzle of maple syrup. Once combined, the chocolate mixture is placed (about a tablespoonful) in a mini silicone tray or mini muffin tin, then topped with a frozen banana round, layered with nut butter and finished with another spoonful of the chocolate mixture. Top off with sprinkles, crushed nuts, flaked coconut, sea salt or all three and place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
Below is your 10 minute Valentine’s Day dessert plan to woo your madame or sir AND it’s packed with nutrition, fiber, magnesium, potassium and all the good stuff your brain and bod need to function optimally. Just whisper in your lovers ear sweet nothings of fiber, magnesium and potassium - guaranteed to get both of your motors running.
You're welcome ... Love Dr. Corrado is in.
I’ve got you covered on this one - the whole life thing, yeah, I’m still working on it and I’ll keep you updated. Will let you know if I have any more enlightening moments during Wonder Woman.
All love and Happy Valentine’s Day.
Get in the kitchen.
- 1 bar of high quality dark chocolate chopped into pieces *I prefer 73% Organic Trader Joes, 78% or 85% Lindt or 85% Theo’s
- 1/2 c. cacao nibs
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 2 frozen bananas sliced into rounds
- Nut butter of choice, I always mix up in one batch with Sunflower, Cashew, Peanut, Almond and homemade Walnuts
- Nuts, Sprinkles, Sea Salt for topping
- Spray a round silicone mold or mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and put aside
- Melt chocolate and cacao nibs in double boiler or microwave with coconut oil - and remember that the cacao nibs will not melt all the way, there will still be small/fine chunks (and add a dash of salt if you dare have a sweet and salty bite throughout your dessert)
- Add maple syrup and mix well
- Gather your frozen slice bananas
- Place a nice tablespoonful of your chocolate mixture in to the mold and top each with a frozen banana
- Spoon a heap of nut butter on top
- Finish with another spoonful of chocolate and finish with toppings of choice
- Freeze for 30-45 minutes
- Nom until your hearts content!