Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Dreams
If a vegetable has a hole or cavity I will stuff it. I should have been a dude, God knows I have the humor of a 17 year old boy. But really, in all health coach seriousness, stuffing squashes is wonderful and handy for a few reasons:
- You'll be straight feasting on a whole, filling, veggie based meal! HOORAY! AND YOU'RE GONNA FEEL GREAT ABOUT IT!
- This stuffed squash in particular contains ALL OF MY KEYS TO A SATISFYING MEAL! 1) COLOR 2) TEXTURE 3) BUMPIN' FLAVOR
- Squashes and stuffing veggies can always be done ahead if you wish to prep a quick stuffing like I did during operation al fresco chicken sausage stuffed zucchini or in my zucchini boats!
- It's an ideal way to USE YOUR LEFTOVERS AND GIVE THEM NEW LIFE! And, there are more notes below!
- Since you took my advice and cooked everything plain, you can add flavor to your food all week long with a little special sauce - or what I like to call my extra special flavor bangs!
- Stuffed veggies are a hearty and delicious fall/winter meal!
- This can be eaten room temp or warmed in the microwave or in a toaster oven and sauced afterwards!
I took a roasted spaghetti squash and scraped some of the inside so it could be filled.
To roast a spaghetti squash:
- Cut in half and remove seeds
- Lightly coat rim and cavity of the squash
- Place face down on a baking sheet
- Roast at 425 until fork tender, about 40 minutes
I took a bunch of veggie odds and ends and leftovers and made them into stuffing. Think pre-sauteed or steamed: spinach, kale, zucchini, mushrooms, peas, carrots, peppers and scallions. It's your world, stuff it real good!
Make a lovely dressing to add a creamy layer of flavor to this veggie based wonder!
To make spiced yogurt sauce combine all of the below in a food processor, blender or use an immersion blender to combine!
- 1 container of Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime + zest
Make your palate dance by adding a pop of pomegranate - not only a great way to create a colorful plate, but a small blast of sweet tang to go with your spicy sauce and veggies!
Notes + Swaps
- No stuffing? Make a freestyle one by throwing anything from leftover quinoa, beans, veggies and meat, tempeh or tofu into a pan for a quick saute! Stuff and go!
- Pomegranates are a pain! 1) Stop it immediately, you can get them pre-peeled OR 2) Top this with a nut of choice or dried currants, cherries or dates! Have fun based on the flavors you like!
- Not into turmeric and yogurt and/or vegan? That's ok! If your vegan and love yogurt, reach for a coconut based yogurt! Or you can make a simple vinaigrette using oil of choice and an acid! Or rock some guac and top with a speedy guacamole and have a full blown veggie bonanza!
And get in the kitchen!